14 November 2007

a portrait of a quilt


Years ago, I accompanied by mother and grandmother to yearly doll and quilt shows. It was their hobby, their passion--and they being my two favorite people, it thus become my hobby.

Along with an impressive collection of designer barbies, I came out of the experience with a ridiculous admiration for the double wedding ring quilt. I would moon over this quilt, lusting over the connected circles and begging my grandmother to promise to make it for me as a wedding present when Dane Meyers, the hottest boy in junior high, finally declared his undying love for me and we sealed the deal with a buffet reception at the local masonic lodge.

Fast forward ten years, I fell for the hottest girl in my post-graduate volunteer program and we've sealed the deal so far with the addition of a floppy eared rescue dog.

Even though I failed miserably to hold up my end of the bargain--my grandma's good like that. And for my 25th birthday, she made my quilt dreams all come true.

I've been brainstorming something as a "thank you" that would express my appreciation. My first choice---(sending her on a Norwegian cruise)---is postponed until I can afford something like a Norwegian cruise.

My 2nd choice: Portrait of a Quilt.

Between my camera and some fancy words, I'd like to try to capture what this quilt means to me and pass that on to my grandmother.

It will be a work in progress, but since I so often have works that never leave the "in progress" bit, I'm putting it out here, to the internet abyss, so I have the motivation to finish it.

I'd like to write a bit about each photograph, but since I nearly peed myself everytime it was my turn in my college poetry class, I'm not sure if I'll have the gumption to make that happen. Plus, my handwriting is too messy. Why yes, I am just trying to think of excuses now.

I do think it's a beautiful thing---when the words "thank you" aren't enough.

No comments: