09 October 2007

before!


The word "Before" is so exciting.

Just the sound of it naturally implies a drastic and unbelievable change that will make you gasp with inconceivable amazement. This is called the "After."

I think the decorating hoop-la shows really got us hooked on this Before/After phenomenon---3:00pm: Living Room: Beige and Boring. 3:57pm: Living Room: Alive with Flair and Color! And curtains! Really cool, dramatic curtains.


What I forgot is that during 3:10-3:55pm I usually flip channels, nap, rummage in the fridge, nap again, pretend to clean, and rest my eyes. This weekend I learned what I miss in those precious in between moments. Apparently getting from the Before to the After can be a bit of a bitch.

I feel a little betrayed by these decorating wonder shows. When it comes to reality shows--I'm not naive. I know, deep down, that The Bachelor is most likely gay and that Survivor takes place on Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean.


Maybe I'm blatantly missing these moments, but I've yet to watch Trading Spaces and see someone stub their toe, the same toe, over and over on the ladder. No matter where the ladder was. Or knock over a cup of orange paint, spilling it all over the floor, the wall, and the new wire shelves with fun little rivets. Really tiny, little rivets. Or paint a wall fourteen times because it looks "spotty." Or paint the doorway and then lean against it. Am I that lazy? I can't stand up for fifteen minutes?

I give you my before: Our lovely unique 2 room kitchen. And since I live for suspense (and because I'm working on time management skills and opted for showering instead of taking pictures this morning) the "After" will be released sometime this evening. And trust me, the After was worth my sore toe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

delurking to say- there were many stubbed toes, Many many many gallons of paint spilled and many an hour spent making a red wall look more like a red wall rather than a horrific patch of diseased sking behind the scenes on TS...I have the scars and stained shoes/clothes to prove it. ;)

I'm looking forward to your before and after shots. Good luck! and congrats on your move -

great blog btw