04 October 2007

thanks, craig.

I'm going to state the obvious here when I say: Moving is expensive. I know---you know. It's like saying: The sun is bright. --or-- Ice cream is delicious --or-- That time, in my infinite 5th grade wisdom, I decided to proudly show off my pin collection by wearing all 102 somewhere on my tight rolled jeans or my XL Guess t-shirt--yeah, that time was definitely a mistake.

I'm on this recent kick of getting financially organized--which, can be seriously challenging when you're basically just alphabetizing the numerous receipts stuffed in the bottom of your purse and ignoring the pile of bills near the front door.

Obviously--I need a new approach. I've become the person that finds themselves sitting at the red light, scoffing at the radio commercial spouting off debt consolidation assistance and then flipping to the AM station quickly so I don't have to think about my own debt let alone admitting that I would need something as extreme as consolidation. It's like the dentist. Maybe I don't floss as much as I should, but it's not like for that they'd give me a root canal. Right?


Or maybe I'm playing a game of denial.

I've been looking for a book/article/blog of someone who has been here--honestly considering charging three dollar tacos--and has moved forward and up and away and out of it.

So far all I have found are books on amazon like:

"I have money. I've always had money. I'm incredibly smart about money. Have been since birth. Let me share my secrets with you."

"I've never missed a credit card payment in my entire life. And if you have, I judge you. Put this book down and step away."

"My credit score is 780. Sucker."

"Bad credit will ruin your social life, lovers will leave you, and you will never find a job you're passionate about. Read this book before you take out a credit card, school loan, car loan, loan from your parents, store credit card, or debit card and you MIGHT have a chance!"

Why is it that I can't find anyone out there that admits to learning by experience and a lot of mistakes? Maybe there aren't too many people that would put their 401Ks in the hands of an admitted former shopaholic, but I'd like proof that the folks here with the low credit scores don't all end up at the mercy of visa for the rest of their days.

The past couple of months have been a whirlwind--and now that the dust is settling, I need to learn the art of stretching this temp salary far enough to cover the bills, the necessities, and the occasional frozen pizza.

Thankfully---I do believe that I'll get out this money muck business and learn some stuff along the way. Trust me, I don't have an excess of optimism or perkiness---but I figure the good thing about the bottom is you've got to start going up somehow.

Lesson 1:

My kind of Ethan Allen: Craigslist. New apartment means new, big spaces to put new things. New things aren't really in the category of "necessity" these days. But! Looking for character--uniqueness--adaptability---look no further than for used furniture. I adore the potential, the treasure hunt, the feeling of success!!

The ladderback chair above is a recent conquest of my girl's. I never thought I could love a kitchen table so much.

And that new interest free for thirty six hours department store credit card was completely unnecessary.

No comments: